Sunday, August 1, 2010

Triathlon: Pass the weak...hurdle the dead.

Tina saw that saying on the back of someone's t-shirt and we both thought it was hilarious. (and I hoped I would be neither the weak or the dead by the end of the race...)
We were up before 6am to get ready to go, Russ had expertly loaded our bikes the night before. We were in Layton by 7:00 and finally getting in the water sometime after 8:30. This triathlon has a mini sprint which is 300yd swim (12 lengths of the pool), 5.5 mile bike and 1.5 mile run. The full tri which we did, was the mini, then head back to the pool and do it all over again.

At the end of my run I was truly dreading getting back in the pool to start all over, but to my surprise, the second swim felt so much better than the first!! Of course Brady swam each time in about 4 minutes and seemed to have no problems at all getting through the whole course with the exception of the seat cushion on his bike coming off so he had to hold it for 5 miles. The transitions were kind of a pain, but it's part of the fun.

Brady finished in 1:34 (20th overall!) and I finished in 1:52. (3rd in my age division)











And then there's Karly! She did the kid's tri and she was awesome!! She's been doing swim team this summer, so her swim looked so good and she was fast. Unfortunately other kids weren't such good swimmers and one girl, going the other way, drifted over to Karly's side of the lane and bonked her in the head. She recovered quickly, finished her swim and was off across the parking lot to get on her bike. The kids did a 100 yd swim (4 lengths), 1 mile bike and .5 mile run. Karly finished in 17 mins!




Dylan, Kelsey and Russ were outstanding supporters, cheering us on at every transition!



One thing that made this such a good experience for me was how supportive and fun all the other participants were. Of course there were athletes there that took this very seriously, but everyone was pleasant, smiling and encouraging one another. Most people there did not take themselves too seriously which made it fun. I loved being there with Tina who would not let me catch her on the last bike ride, Brady who always has a good time, and my cute Karly!

As good as this experience was, I do not see an Ironman in my future!

1 comment:

  1. I was able to hold Kari off during the bike ride but she passed me with ease on the final run! It was a blast! I'm already planning on next year!

    ReplyDelete